Monday, July 4, 2011

Min Wong Artist Profile


Min Wong is a Darwin based artist. She creates mixed media works and installations.


Can you describe your current work?
My current work is a mixed media installation. It has wallpaper, bird cages and found object installation. It has references to white colonialism and chinese practices. The materials are sourced from China and Australia/Darwin, referring to my heritage. I am interested in my own family history but also the long relationship the Chinese have had with Australia. This is a personal experience that also informs bigger interracial concerns that has plague Australia throughout history.
What is the intention behind your work?
This work has been developed from my Red Gate residency. This work is still evolving. I thought exhibiting at Deaf Space would be a good opportunity to create a playful work in a site specific space. My intention is to use this experience to further develop concepts and a complete body of work. This work speaks about response to environment and the complexities of mixing cultures and their outcomes.
What draws you to create installations?
I enjoy using different mediums and creating a work within a space and its confines. The negative space complements an installation if it is considered and engaging with the work. I am interested in the artwork challenging the space and also complementing it.
How did it feel to receive a residency and can you tell us a little bit about the experience?
it was a fantastic opportunity to be able to spend 5 weeks full time in a studio. I had previously been to China and applied while I was there to do a residency at Red Gate Gallery. Because of my origins, it has informed my work and allowed me to experiment with new materials and experience working an a different culture. The challenges of living in China, ie. a language barrier was a great inspiration that enriched my practice and enabled me to engage in a more realistic dialogue with my heritage and my artwork. I intend to maintain a relationship with China and to visit again.

Images of the Artist studio...



No comments:

Post a Comment